Thursday, January 28, 2010

Slice of Life in January


The universe has been acting in very strange and wonderful ways lately....2010 started out frigid with freezing temps that made me want to do nothing but burrow under blankets and read, and it's drawing to a close with the warmer temperatures of Miami (as in Superbowl!) calling my name!

As January draws to a close, I'd like to take a look at what I've completed for my 2010 challenges, and see what's ahead for February.

In January, I've read and reviewed the following books:

Jane Eyre's Daughter by Elizabeth Newark for the All About the Brontes Challenge (4/5 stars)

Angel Time by Anne Rice for The Time Travel Challenge (3/5 stars)

Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine for the Time Travel Challenge (4/5 stars)

The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant for the Historical Fiction Challenge (3.5/5 stars)

The Secret by Julie Garwood for the Romance Challenge (4/5 stars)

Murder on the Cliffs: A Daphne du Maurier Mystery by Joanna Challis (3/5 stars)

These is My Words by Nancy Turner (4.5/5 stars)

I also viewed the Masterpiece Theatre's production of Jane Eyre for the All About the Brontes Challenge.

So many good things coming up in the next few weeks.....Mardi Gras is right around the corner, and we've been busy getting our costumes ready and purchasing all the goodies we need to throw on Mardi Gras day. For the past few years, we have decided to ride and be the ones throwing all the beads and trinkets instead of being spectators. Loads of fun and something I always wanted to do as a kid.






Talk about a great ending to our football season! Last Sunday's NFC championship game between the Saints and the Vikings has been to talk of the town, and we're still flying high over the Saints going to the Superbowl! I'm so glad I was at the Dome to experience "history" as it happened.




We'll be leaving for Miami soon...yes, my husband said it's a once in a lifetime chance, so we're going for it! My husband played football all his life and in college, and he lives for football. He's not about to pass up on a Superbowl experience, and I'm not one to pass up an opportunity to go to beautiful Miami in the middle of winter!




Hope everyone has had a terrific start to your new year!



Sorry about this Saints widget -- my brother sent it to me and I couldn't resist! ;)

4 comments:

Svea Love said...

Love this post :) Good job on all your January reading. So cool your are going to the Super Bowl. I was so happy when they beat the Vikings. I will be cheering for the Saints over here in California...have fun!!! {next year go 49ers :)}

Joanne said...

Hi, Muse! Thank you so much!

Ooooh, California! What part of Calif. is home? We went to San Fran. and Nappa Valley when we were first married and it's fabulous! The Pacific Coast is so beautiful, I'd love to get back for another vacation.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Great post - I am a Minnesotan so I would be the Vikings side of your post - LOL.... happy though to see you guys go to the Super Bowl - that is exciting and deserved, we made some crazy errors in that last game.

We are currently in Florida ourselves for the next 11 days. Mardi Gras sounds wonderful - I would love to experience that some day!

Joanne said...

Hi there, Sheila!! You know, we love Brett Farve here in N.O. -- he's not only a Mississippi boy and grew up a Saints fan, he's just a great warrior athelete, no doubt about it.

I had two teachers from Minnesota that sat next to me during the game (we talked a bit about teaching as I'm a teacher as well), so we had fun with good-spirited rivalry. They said they wished they could stay for Mardi Gras!

Thanks for stopping by -- good to hear from you! Have a wonderful time in sunny Florida!

Favorite Period Dramas

Mount TBR

Joanne's to-read book montage

On a Highland Shore
A Light on the Veranda
Entwined
The Queen's Vow: A Novel Of Isabella Of Castile
The Edwardians
Maisie Dobbs
Howards End
Lady's Maid
Instruments Of Darkness
When Maidens Mourn
Where Shadows Dance
What Remains of Heaven
Where Serpents Sleep
Why Mermaids Sing
When Gods Die
Shadowfever
Before Ever After
The Sugar Queen
Garden Spells
After the Night


Joanne's favorite books »
}