Monday, April 18, 2011

Whom the Gods Love by Kate Ross


"Alexander Falkland hasn't an enemy in the world. Young, talented, charming, he shines in every field he enters: law, architecture, the investment market. But one night his luck runs out with a vengeance. In the midst of one of his famous parties, he is found in his study with his head smashed, a blood-stained poker beside him. No wonder the inscription on his gravestone reads: WHOM THE GODS LOVE DIE YOUNG....."
(from the publisher)

my thoughts:

Whom the Gods Love is the third in the Julian Kestrel Regency mystery series, and as usual, Kate Ross delivers another sharp, tight plot that keeps you guessing at every twist and turn of events.

When the Bow Street Runners come up empty with clues or suspects in the highly publicized murder of society's golden boy, Alexander Falkland, his father seeks the assistance of dandy Julian Kestrel, an amateur sleuth. With his trusty sidekick,the reformed pickpocket Dipper, he embarks on another murder investigation that takes him on a journey in the darker side of life to explore Alexander's life, his business and social acquaintances. In the process, Julian uncovers layer upon layer of lies, false identities, and scandalous deceptions. Who was this Alexander Falkland.....really? And who among the long list of family, servants, and associates had reason to want to murder him in cold blood?

Kate Ross is a master at structuring her stories and deftly weaving many threads of mystery together. Her characters from different social classes and their dialogue rings true and the everyday details of the Regency period are completely authentic. A thoroughly enjoyable read, although I still think A Broken Vessel is my favorite.


4/5

Title: Whom the Gods Love
Author: Kate Ross
Viking Press
1995
382 pages
genre: Regency mystery

5 comments:

Julie at Outlandish Dreaming said...

I just ordered all these books from Paperback Swap and will be reading Cut to the Quick soon, I love the idea of this series!

Joanne said...

Hi, Julie -- That's great...I hope you are as impressed with Kate Ross as I am. Cut to the Quick was good, but it gets better. I've heard The Devil in Music (her last) is the best, so I'm looking forward to reading it soon.

Staci said...

This one sounds interesting and thanks for reviewing an author that I've never heard of before.

Melissa @ Confessions of an Avid Reader said...

I'm definitely going to have to give this series a try. I love the Regency era.

Yvette said...

I have these books on one of my shelves. Don't remember how they got there. But for whatever reason, I haven't read them yet. I'm thinking to move them over to my TBR Mountain. Thanks for the review. :)

Favorite Period Dramas

Mount TBR

Joanne's to-read book montage

On a Highland Shore
A Light on the Veranda
Entwined
The Queen's Vow: A Novel Of Isabella Of Castile
The Edwardians
Maisie Dobbs
Howards End
Lady's Maid
Instruments Of Darkness
When Maidens Mourn
Where Shadows Dance
What Remains of Heaven
Where Serpents Sleep
Why Mermaids Sing
When Gods Die
Shadowfever
Before Ever After
The Sugar Queen
Garden Spells
After the Night


Joanne's favorite books »
}