Sunday, June 6, 2010

Ten Things I Love About You by Julia Quinn



"Ten things you should know about this book:

l. Sebastian Grey is a devilishly handsome rogue with a secret.

2. Annabel Winslow's family voted her The Winslow Most Likely to Speak Her Mind AND The Winslow Most Like to Fall Asleep in Church.

3. Sebastian's uncle is the Earl of Newbury, and if he dies without siring an heir, Sebastian inherits everything.

4. Lord Newbury detests Sebastian and will stop at nothing to prevent this from happenhing.

5. Lord Newbury has decided that Annabel is the answer to all of his problems.

6. Annabel does not want to marry Lord Newbury, especially when she finds out he once romanced her grandmother.

7. is shocking, 8 is delicious, and 9 is downright wicked, all of which lead the way to

10. Happily. Ever. After."
(from the publisher)




my thoughts:

This was my first venture into the world of Julia Quinn novels, and it was a really sweet romance. What I found refreshingly unique about Sebestian and Annabel's story
was that they were both very likeable, engaging people without a terrible amount of angst or past baggage (naturally there are some secrets and conflicts, but nothing earth-shattering). They were two people who literally stumbled into each other's path and became good friends and lovers along the way.....while sharing laughs and genuinely enjoying being in each other's company.

There wouldn't be a happily-ever-after without some conflicts along the way, and trouble begins when the repulsive Lord Newbury decides that he will offer for Annabel's hand in marriage so she can provide him with the desperately needed heir. Newbury detests his nephew, Sebastian, and will do anything to avoid leaving his significant wealth to him. Sebastian, a former sniper-turned-author with a secret identity, is intrigued with the lovely Annabel, but not enough to offer for her in marriage. Unfortunately for Annabel, her grandparents, Lord and Lady Vickers, support Newbury's marriage plans to their granddaughter and bringing his fortune to help provide for Annabel's many siblings.

The grandmother, Lady Vickers, is a riot....a formidable dragon lady who, when push comes to shove, comes up with a plan at the end of the story that is both shocking and funny....go, grandma!

Cute. Sweet. Romantic.

3.5/5 stars


Title: Ten Things I Love About You
Author: Julia Quinn
377 pages
2010
Avon Books
genre: historical romance

5 comments:

Julie at Outlandish Dreaming said...

I'm looking foward to reading this - you haven't read The Bridgerton Series? OMG, are you in for a treat, it is hands down my favorite regency romance series! I really enjoyed it, and unfortunately her other books haven't had the same mix of humor and poignancy the Bridgerton's have, but JQ is till one of my favorite romance authors!

Joanne said...

Julie -- I know, I know, where have I been????

I'm going to get to the Bridgerton Series soon, as soon as I finish Karen Moning's series. I'm looking forward to it!

Kim said...

I'm reading and enjoying this book right now. It's the first one I have read and I know it wasn't one of the ones you suggested ...

I suppose if you read a lot of these regency books you learn the lingo. It takes a little bit for my brow to get high enough to get in the flow with the writing.

Kim said...

Oops, I posted that last comment to the wrong post. :) It was supposed to go with the Frederica one.

So for THIS one...your list of 10 was a clever idea. Soooo, do you have a lot of romance in your life, or do these books bring a lot of romance into your life? :)

Joanne said...

Hi, Kim! I wish I could take credit for the list of 10 but it was on the back cover! (I scrolled up to make sure I credited it to the publisher and I did.) There's just something about the spring and summer that makes me want to read more romances; mysteries and historical fiction are my choices in the fall and winter.

As far as romance in my life, wellllll, the books sure can't hurt!

Favorite Period Dramas

Mount TBR

Joanne's to-read book montage

On a Highland Shore
A Light on the Veranda
Entwined
The Queen's Vow: A Novel Of Isabella Of Castile
The Edwardians
Maisie Dobbs
Howards End
Lady's Maid
Instruments Of Darkness
When Maidens Mourn
Where Shadows Dance
What Remains of Heaven
Where Serpents Sleep
Why Mermaids Sing
When Gods Die
Shadowfever
Before Ever After
The Sugar Queen
Garden Spells
After the Night


Joanne's favorite books »
}