Sunday, June 6, 2010
Ten Things I Love About You by Julia Quinn
"Ten things you should know about this book:
l. Sebastian Grey is a devilishly handsome rogue with a secret.
2. Annabel Winslow's family voted her The Winslow Most Likely to Speak Her Mind AND The Winslow Most Like to Fall Asleep in Church.
3. Sebastian's uncle is the Earl of Newbury, and if he dies without siring an heir, Sebastian inherits everything.
4. Lord Newbury detests Sebastian and will stop at nothing to prevent this from happenhing.
5. Lord Newbury has decided that Annabel is the answer to all of his problems.
6. Annabel does not want to marry Lord Newbury, especially when she finds out he once romanced her grandmother.
7. is shocking, 8 is delicious, and 9 is downright wicked, all of which lead the way to
10. Happily. Ever. After."
(from the publisher)
This was my first venture into the world of Julia Quinn novels, and it was a really sweet romance. What I found refreshingly unique about Sebestian and Annabel's story
was that they were both very likeable, engaging people without a terrible amount of angst or past baggage (naturally there are some secrets and conflicts, but nothing earth-shattering). They were two people who literally stumbled into each other's path and became good friends and lovers along the way.....while sharing laughs and genuinely enjoying being in each other's company.
There wouldn't be a happily-ever-after without some conflicts along the way, and trouble begins when the repulsive Lord Newbury decides that he will offer for Annabel's hand in marriage so she can provide him with the desperately needed heir. Newbury detests his nephew, Sebastian, and will do anything to avoid leaving his significant wealth to him. Sebastian, a former sniper-turned-author with a secret identity, is intrigued with the lovely Annabel, but not enough to offer for her in marriage. Unfortunately for Annabel, her grandparents, Lord and Lady Vickers, support Newbury's marriage plans to their granddaughter and bringing his fortune to help provide for Annabel's many siblings.
The grandmother, Lady Vickers, is a riot....a formidable dragon lady who, when push comes to shove, comes up with a plan at the end of the story that is both shocking and funny....go, grandma!
Cute. Sweet. Romantic.
Title: Ten Things I Love About You
Author: Julia Quinn
genre: historical romance