Saturday, January 1, 2011

Looking Back and Looking Ahead at Slice of Life


I love new beginnings.....a chance to start fresh, begin again, make things better and improve the way I'm already doing things. Here at Slice of Life, I keep things very simple and hopefully my readers find content that is interesting, informative, and entertaining. I am not a reviewer and generally don't accept ARC's unless it is a request that I simply cannot resist.....I just love books, particularly those set in the past, and read whatever appeals to me. It doesn't matter if it's the latest buzz in the book world or an obscure oldie-but-goodie from fifty or a hundred years ago..... it's all good.

I thought it would be fun to take a look back at the activity on my blog from this past year and highlight a few notable books, posts, and events. So here's to the hits
(and a few misses) at Slice of Life in 2010:

The Year's Most Popular Blog Post: Murder Most Royal by Jean Plaidy (It's the post that consistently gets tons of hits every day for months and months...with no sign of stopping. The people want Plaidy! Give them more Plaidy!!)

The Post I Had the Most Fun Writing: Bibliomania Day (Thanks to Kim --aka The Queen Bee-- for tagging me and giving me this opportunity to examine my love of reading -- and to expose my chubby 2-year-old thighs!)

The Silliest Post: Oh, Yeah? Who Says Girls Can't Write?! (I don't know if anyone else found this Bronte sister video funny, but it cracks me up....especially the lace around the ankles of the "Brontesaurus." Take that, you narrow-minded cur!)

The Post that Made Me Cringe to Write: Soulles by Gail Carriger (I dislike being negative, but I also want to be honest in my reactions to books. This popular book was just not my cup of tea, as you will see. But I hasten to add that others loved it!)

The Post I Can't Believe I Wrote: Author Highlights! Meeting Diana Gabaldon, Lauren Willig, and Stephanie Barron (Yep! It's still pretty surreal that I actually got to meet and talk to such fabulous authors!)

The "What Was I Thinking?" Post: Murder on the Cliffs by Joanna Challis (I adored the cover of this novel and thought the concept of Daphne Du Maurier as sleuth was clever....but the writing, oh, the writing! It was just.....gawd awful! And I actually gave this book 3 stars! What was I thinking? Have you seen this book anywhere in the blogosphere? I didn't think so. I should have rated it a 1.)

Best Musical Video Post: The Year of the Pink Carnation (I just love a Sharp Dressed Man, especially in knee breeches!)

The "I Hope I Did It Justice" Post: The Distant Hours by Kate Morton (This was such a terrific book with a complex and unusual plot! Really was difficult to write about such a multi-layered story...I hope I did it justice! I really want people to read this book.)

Favorite Book to Movie Post: Forever Amber: From Novel to Film by Gary Smith (I had a blast writing about my favorite naughty minx from Forever Amber--one of my all-time favorites.)

*********

So, here to looking forward to many good things ahead in the new year..... The Jane Austen Mysteries Challenge, The Royal Mistress Challenge, The Georgette Heyer Challenge, historical romance selections from the AAR Top 100 Romance list, fabulous historical fiction, and a few surprises.

Thank you to all who visit my blog and my loyal followers. I truly appreciate your comments and feedback and hope that you always feel welcome here. I'm wishing you a year filled with good health, happiness, peace, and lots of great reading!

6 comments:

Julie at Outlandish Dreaming said...

Great post! I'm doing no challenges this year! I didn't even finish the time travel one this year. :(

I have to see the movie Forever Amber! Have you seen it? Did it end the same way or did they stick a Hollywood ending on it? I loved it, I have to read it again!

Joanne said...

Good for you with the "no challenge" year!

Actually, I selected challenges to "fit" my TBR list, (i.e. Historical Fiction and Historical Romance challenges....they're books I read anyway.) The only real challenge will be trying to keep up with the Jane Austen one.

The movie version of Forever Amber is really terrible, in my opinion. So much of the content was controversial and the censors were strict. If I remember, the movie doesn't end anything like the book -- the entire movie bears very little resemblance to the multiple plotlines, and the casting was wrong. Unfortunately, the movie flopped.

Cat said...

Happy New Year, Joanne.

I like the new beginning feeling too and you are very organised with your challenge reads for 2011. I look forward to sharing reviews of lots of great historical fiction.

Joanne said...

Thanks, Cat! Hope you have a wonderful year filled with all good things!

Melissa @ Confessions of an Avid Reader said...

Happy New Year. Great post. I'm glad I found your blog, and am looking forward to reading all your posts in 2011!

Joanne said...

Happy New Year, Avid Reader! I'm glad I found your blog, too! We are kindred spirits!

Favorite Period Dramas

Mount TBR

Joanne's to-read book montage

On a Highland Shore
A Light on the Veranda
Entwined
The Queen's Vow: A Novel Of Isabella Of Castile
The Edwardians
Maisie Dobbs
Howards End
Lady's Maid
Instruments Of Darkness
When Maidens Mourn
Where Shadows Dance
What Remains of Heaven
Where Serpents Sleep
Why Mermaids Sing
When Gods Die
Shadowfever
Before Ever After
The Sugar Queen
Garden Spells
After the Night


Joanne's favorite books »
}